Weston Motorcycle Accident Attorney
Advocating for Injured Motorcyclists
Weston is a master-planned community bordering the Florida Everglades and only twenty minutes from the state’s famous beaches. The city is visually distinctive, with rows of Royal Palms, flowing waterways, extensive landscaping, and 50 miles of bike lanes. Scenic motorcycle rides in the Weston area include the Dual Sport Everglades 240 Mile Loop, Weston to Ft. Myers Beach and back, and the Everglades Holy Land and Big Cypress dirt ride.
No matter how diligently they ride, motorcyclists are vulnerable to collisions caused by other drivers. If you have been injured in a motorcycle crash, contact an experienced Florida Motorcycle Accident Attorney at Justin Morgan Law toll-free at 1-800-9justin (1-800-958-7846) as soon as possible.
What Rights do Motorcyclists Have on the Road?
Riders in Florida have the same rights on the road as other motorists. Under state law, motorcyclists have the right to full use of a lane without vehicles encroaching. The law prohibits lane splitting – overtaking and passing between occupied lanes of traffic. When a crash occurs through the negligence of another, riders in Florida have a right to seek compensation for their injuries.
How do Florida Motorcycle Accidents Occur?
In 2020 in the U.S., 5,579 motorcyclists were killed in traffic crashes, and 83,000 were injured, as reported by the Insurance Information Institute (III). Motorcycles are less crashworthy, less visible, and less stable than four-wheeled vehicles. Although multiple factors can contribute to motorcycle accidents, many are caused by the negligence of other drivers. Common causes of Florida motorcycle crashes include:
- Speeding: The faster a vehicle is traveling, the more distance a driver needs to stop to avoid a collision with a motorcyclist, and the greater the impact when a crash occurs.
- Tailgating: Following too closely is dangerous under any circumstances, particularly at highway speeds. When a passenger vehicle rear-ends a motorcycle, it can be deadly for the rider.
- Unsafe lane changes: Motorcycles are smaller and easier to miss in a vehicle’s blind spots. A driver who fails to signal and perform a head check before switching lanes can sideswipe a motorcyclist.
- Distracted driving: When drivers are texting, talking on the phone, or otherwise distracted, they may fail to notice a motorcycle in the roadway.
- Negligent left turns: Many motorcycle collisions are caused by drivers turning left at intersections who fail to register a motorcycle in the road or misjudge its speed and distance, turning directly into its path.
- Dooring: When vehicles are parked on a street, drivers and passengers must carefully check for oncoming vehicles before opening a car door on the side of traffic. When a motorist opens a door directly in the path of a motorcycle, the rider must choose between crashing into the car door, swerving into traffic, or performing another dangerous maneuver.
What Types of Injuries do Motorcycle Crashes Cause?
Because riders lack the protections of an enclosed vehicle, they are vulnerable to serious injuries in a crash. Common motorcycle accident injuries include:
- Facial fractures
- Road rash
- Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Bone fractures
- Spinal cord injury and paralysis
- Crush injuries when a bike falls on a rider
What are your Legal Options After a Serious Motorcycle Wreck?
Severely injured riders in Weston, and throughout Florida, may be eligible to collect compensation for a Florida motorcycle accident. This may include property damage, past and future medical expenses, lost income, loss of future earning capacity, pain and suffering, emotional distress, permanent disability, and other losses. The amount of compensation you are entitled to claim will depend on the nature and severity of your injuries and the circumstances of your case.
Our experienced Florida Motor Vehicle Accident Attorney at Justin Morgan Law can assess the full extent of your losses and diligently pursue the maximum compensation you are entitled to receive. Call Justin Morgan Law toll-free at 1-800-9justin (1-800-958-7846) to schedule a consultation after a serious Florida Motorcycle Accident.