Weston Distracted Driving Accident Attorney
Representation for Victims of Distracted Driving Accidents in Weston
Driving involves risking serious injury and demands focus to avoid causing harm. At certain speeds, hazards can appear suddenly and require fast reaction time. Therefore, it is important to drive without distraction, or else risk inflicting severe harm to oneself or another. The following information covers issues related to accidents resulting from distracted driving.
If you are considering pursuing a claim for compensation, the experienced Distracted Driving Lawyers at Justin Morgan Law in Weston can offer invaluable legal assistance. Attorney Justin Morgan has personally recovered over $100 million for his clients and was chosen as a Lawyer of Distinction 2023 in Florida as published by The National Law Journal.
Schedule a free consultation to discuss your case by calling us toll-free at 1-800-9-JUSTIN (1-800-958-7846).
What Is Distracted Driving?
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) broadly defines “distracted driving” as “any activity that diverts attention from driving.” Because safe driving requires focus and split-second decision-making, it is important to eliminate distractions to prevent accidents.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) classify distracted driving into the following categories:
- Visual: Actions or occurrences that divert a driver’s eyes from the road.
- Manual: Actions that divert a driver’s hands from steering the car.
- Cognitive: Actions or occurrences that divert a driver’s mind from driving.
Accordingly, distracted driving covers a wide range of activities, including:
- Phone interactions
- GPS or other maps
- Conversation with passengers
- Radio or music interaction
- Outside distractions
Types of Accidents Caused by Distracted DrivingDistracted driving can cause drivers to miss important traffic signals, hazardous road conditions, other drivers, and pedestrians. The distracted driver is not likely to have enough time to react to such conditions, leading to accidents such as:
- Rear-end collisions
- Sideswipe accidents
- Collisions involving oncoming vehicles
- Striking pedestrians crossing the street
Because driving can involve moving massive vehicles at relatively high speeds, the force of a collision between two vehicles can lead to devastating consequences. Furthermore, pedestrians are particularly vulnerable to serious injury because they do not have the protection of a car’s frame or airbags.
As a result, distracted driving can lead to the following injuries:
- Property damage: Distracted driving can lead to collisions, damaging vehicles as well as objects on both public and private property.
- Personal injury: Distracted driving can cause accidents, leading to bodily harm such as lacerations, broken bones, and trauma to internal organs.
- Death: An accident resulting from distracted driving can lead to severe bodily harm from which the victim cannot recover.
Compensation for Damages
In general, drivers have a duty to reasonably avoid distractions while driving. A driver who breaches that duty and consequently injures another person may be liable for damages, including:
- Expenses for medical treatment
- Repair or replacement of property
- Lost wages resulting from a disabling injury
- Pain and suffering
The Importance of Hiring a Distracted Driving Attorney
Distracted driving may be difficult to prove in court. This is especially true for visual distractions such as when a driver diverts their eyes to something outside their car. However, evidence of other facts and circumstances can be valuable to proving distracted driving, such as:
- Phone records showing texting or calls
- Testimony from individuals who witnessed the distracted driver
- Skid marks suggesting the driver’s delayed response time
- Traffic camera footage
An experienced attorney can obtain such evidence to bolster a lawsuit involving negligence due to distracted driving, using methods such as witness interviews, issuing subpoenas to the at-fault party, and conducting depositions.
Top-Tier Legal Representation in Weston
If you have been involved in an accident caused by distracted driving, you stand to benefit from the knowledge of an experienced Personal Injury Lawyer at Justin Morgan Law.
The talented litigators at Justin Morgan Law will fight tirelessly on your behalf. We’ve recovered over $100 million in compensation for our clients. Our team has been helping people get the money they need to put their lives back together for over 20 years.
Contact Justin Morgan Law today toll-free at 1-800-9-JUSTIN (1-800-958-7846) to schedule a free consultation and explore how we can assist in getting justice on your behalf.