Weston Passenger Injury Attorney
Legal Representation for Injured Passengers in Weston
Passengers must trust drivers to ensure that all occupants reach their destination safely. However, like all humans, drivers are prone to error. Driver mistakes can have severe consequences, often involving costly injuries to passengers.
In general, the individual who failed to exercise adequate care to ensure the safety of their passengers and the passengers of other vehicles may be held liable for their injuries. Depending on the circumstances, identifying the responsible party can be a challenge, involving complicated factual scenarios.
Thankfully, injured passengers can rely on the services of an experienced Passenger Injury Attorney in Weston at Justin Morgan Law. Attorney Justin Morgan has personally recovered over $100 million for his clients and was chosen as a Lawyer of Distinction 2023 in Florida as published by The National Law Journal.
Reach out to us toll-free at 1-800-9-JUSTIN (1-800-958-7846) for a free consultation today.
Liability for Injured Passengers
All drivers have a duty to take reasonable precautions to ensure the safety of their passengers. In cases involving multiple vehicles, drivers can be held liable for injuries they cause to passengers in another vehicle.
Injured passengers in Florida generally face the following scenarios:
- Making a claim against their own driver
- Making a claim against the driver of another vehicle
- Making a claim against their own insurance
- Making a claim against the insurance of the host vehicle, and/or at fault driver
In rare cases, a passenger’s own negligence may be a contributing factor in causing an accident. In such cases, the passenger has breached their duty to ensure the safety of the vehicle’s occupants under the following circumstances:
- Obstructing the driver’s view of the road
- Disruptive behavior such as excessive talking, yelling, or other distracting conduct
- Interfering with the car’s steering
- Allowing an intoxicated driver to drive
- Failing to wear a seatbelt
Compensation Available to Injured Passengers
Passengers have the right to recover compensation for their injuries from negligent drivers—whether that is the driver of the host vehicle or the driver of another vehicle. An injured passenger should take the following steps to secure their right to fair compensation for their injuries:
- Identify the parties at fault: In cases where the driver negligently injured their own passengers, it is common that they are either a friend or relative of the injured party. Most of the time, passengers do not make a direct claim against the driver but instead file a claim against the driver’s insurance provider. When the driver of another vehicle is at fault, the injured passengers will file a claim against them or their insurance provider.
- Personal Injury Protection: Florida drivers have no-fault insurance in the form of Personal Injury Protection (PIP), which may cover up to $10,000 for medical treatment, mileage, and lost wages. Furthermore, PIP insurance covers passengers and their family members. As a result, an injured passenger who has their own car insurance will turn to their provider to recover under their PIP policy. In instances where the passenger does not have their own PIP policy, they can turn to the PIP provider for the vehicle in which they were a passenger.
- Determining applicable insurance: Other forms of insurance that may cover a passenger’s injuries include the passenger’s own uninsured motorist coverage, host vehicle uninsured motorist coverage, and the at-fault driver’s bodily injury coverage and/or umbrella coverage.
Wrongful Death of a Passenger
In severe accidents involving the death of a passenger, the passenger’s qualified surviving family or representatives of their estate may be entitled to compensation under a wrongful death claim and PIP death benefits.
The qualified surviving family members may be entitled to compensation for the following:
- Funeral costs
- Medical bills
- Loss of companionship
- Emotional pain and suffering
Your Trusted Weston Personal Injury Lawyer
Given the potentially complicated circumstances surrounding passenger injury claim/lawsuits, it is vital to consult a qualified attorney for assistance.
The talented litigators at Justin Morgan Law will fight tirelessly on your behalf. We’ve recovered over $100 million in compensation for our clients. Our team has been helping people get the money they need to put their lives back together for over 20 years.
Contact Justin Morgan Law today toll-free at 1-800-9-JUSTIN (1-800-958-7846) to schedule a free consultation and explore how we can assist in getting justice on your behalf.